Sunday, May 4, 2008

Pineapple Guava

I mentioned yesterday that our pineapple guava (Feijoa sellowiana) bush is blooming. So I went out and took some pics last night as the sun was going down. We planted it three years ago in the backyard and this is the first time it has bloomed. Aren't the blooms beautiful?? I love the exotic, tropical look of them, they don't smell though. It's a great bush for Texas too because it is pretty drought tolerant. Meaning we don't have to do too much to it. Maybe prune and shape it up every now and then. I've been told that they also produce a fruit in the Fall. The fruit is suppose to smell wonderful. You use the pulp from the fruit for juice, added to a fruit salad or as a topping for ice cream.
While I'm here, I thought I would share one more photo. This is our thyme plant in the herb garden. It is covered in these super dainty, white blooms. Cute, huh? Anyhow that's what's blooming in our yard this week. Happy Gardening!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Kim, your floral photos are wonderful! I'm going to have to look for a pineapple guava plant the next time I'm at my local nursery. Drought resistant plants are wonderful!!