Thursday, August 2, 2007

Modpodge kinda day!

I chatted with my mom yesterday afternoon and she mentioned wanting to make an altered travel notebook for their upcoming cruise. That got me to thinking. Ross asked me to make him another mini notebook a couple months ago. I had made him one (middle notebook) and he carried it around everywhere in his cargo pants to jot down notes. Well tricky thing about cargo pants, there are a lot of pockets to empty and one day the notebook didn't quite make it out. Yep I washed that sucker and totally ruined it. So I promised him I would make him a new one. Thanks for the reminder mom!!!

These are so easy to make. The mini notebooks come 2 to a pack for $2.49 at Target. Gotta love Target. They have different colors of fabric by the spine, like hot pink, turquoise and lime green. You can find them in the office department on the same aisle as the journals/address books. All you have to do is pick out some pattern paper, measure it to fit the front and back of the notebook, then cut it out. I used a 1/4" circle punch to create a hole for the snap. Once that is ready, apply a good, even coat of modpodge to the notebook and place your pattern paper on. Be sure to smooth it out to get rid of any bubbles. Then you want to go over the top of the pattern paper again with another layer to modpodge. This helps seal it on and not get messed up. That's it!!!! It's better when you do girlie ones because you can add primas, ribbons tied all down the spine, monograms, etc.

Since his was easy and quick I decided that the modpodge was already out and I would make me one :) I found this notebook at Target. Same brand only a bigger size ( 8x5) and it had the elastic band at the bottom and pen loop on the side. I have a million post-it notes on the desk where I write down card ideas and color/sketch challenges, so I thought this might look prettier!! How gorgeous is that paper? It's in my favorite paper collection from TAC called Genevieve. Same concept as above, only I added a little hodpodge hardware before I modpodged it on. I also followed Emily's faboo beaded pen tutorial and made a matching pen for the pen loop. How many times can you say pen in one sentence :) I just used solid turqoise paper from the same collection. It was my first one to make so it's a little wrinkly, gotta pull that tape tighter next time but I like how it turned out!!!

Supplies: Mini notebook- Basic Grey Hydro Hang 10 paper
My notebook- Genevieve paper (TAC), Pentel RSVP pen, Terrifickly Tacky Tape, Double Sided Tape sheet by Provo (Hobby Lobby), mini microbeads, glitter, hodpodge hardware, Karen Foster Snap Stamps, ribbon.

No comments: