Friday, April 18, 2008

Green Tomato Bread

Did I make you do a double take? Yep folks, that says green tomato bread. See there is another way to cook them besides frying them! A friend on a gardening site shared this recipe with me a few years ago and I admit it took me awhile to get the courage to try it out. You see, I'm not a huge fan of tomatoes, but after a little nudge I finally gave in and to my surprise I liked it. The bread actually has a sweet taste to it and has become one of our favs. When we were in HEB the other day, I saw that the green tomatoes looked perfect so I snatched a couple up. I always get a few looks when I'm over there picking them out too. Not something many people choose. I promise I don't make just "odd" breads. I think the only other bread recipe I've shared is Mint Nut, which you best try if you haven't already. I really enjoy cooking and trying out new recipes, but I especially love baking. And yes my bread is a little browned around the edges. I was fighting with the Kitchen Aid and got distracted. I couldn't get the attachment off, in fact I still can't. Anyhow it's not burned I promise. I just cut a slice and it's super moist in the middle with just a slight crunch around the edges. Gotta love that. Ok the recipe:

Green Tomato Bread

3 eggs
1 c. oil
1 c. honey
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. diced green tomatoes
3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 c. chopped nuts
1 c. raisins

Beat eggs, then add oil, honey, vanilla, and tomatoes; mix well.
Add the dry ingredients next and mix well. Stir in nuts and raisins. Pour into 2 greased loaf pans*. Bake at 350˚ for 40-45 minutes.

* This time I just used 1 loaf pan and it worked just fine!

No comments: